Friday, September 18, 2026

Brief History of Martapa

 

This is a very brief history of my world, running through my books, which is well past where I plan on putting my adventures I post.  It's not as filled out as I plan on doing, but here is a beginning.  Maybe I'll make a guidebook someday.

There were many of us across the universe when this all began, dividing up the star scape as if it were a sandbox for us to build in.  In truth, it was.  So many planets to choose from, so many different ideas that we could create.  Sarjon, Catiana and I were in agreement to what we wanted to build and so we took the small planet of Martapa as our own.  We soon realized the task we set ourselves to do would be too great for only the three of us and thus we brought the other six major gods into our fold.  They were Gods without a home and they appreciated our offer.  Soon, even the nine of us were not enough so we created the lesser Gods, many springing from my own spiritual loins.  We filled every aspect of the heavens even as we filled the world with plants, animals and intelligent creatures.  We took some as our own, treating them as our own children and shaping them to our will.  It took centuries of triumphs and mistakes to get to what would be known as the Balance.  But even then, some did not like the constraints.

 

Our world is not perfect, not by any stretch, but neither are its Gods.  We all have weak spots, downfalls, and hungers for power in our own way.  But one thing is for certain, most of us would give our unending lives for this child of ours.  I’ve nearly done so more times than I wish to count.

                                                                        Targon, God of Magic

 

The priests of the Gods are always arguing amongst not only the different faiths, but even in their own temples, how the world was created and populated.  The exact order of things is unknown and really depends on whom you are talking to at the moment.  They roughly agree on the following history.

 

First the Gods were created, of course, then they created the plant and animal life to prepare the world for the more intelligent beings.  The length of time for all of this is unmeasurable in mortal terms, but it doesn’t stop people from speculating.  After this, most agree elves, dwarves and humans and dragons were created, followed by the rest of the most intelligent creatures. 

 

We will cover the history of Martapa more in depth later, but some major events began with the Ogre Wars.  During the time of Chaos, ogres tried to conquer the world and enslave all the races.  This lasted for thousands of years, though no one is certain exactly how long, and finally ended with the other races uniting and driving the ogres into the ground.

 

The next major event would be the founding of Janesh.  Though only vaguely mentioned in the High King’s Sword, this advanced race of mages and engineers created great wonders as the rest of the world was pretty much in the “dark ages.”

 

Another major event is the Time of the Chosen or the Avatar Wars.  The Gods were summoned by the Chosen to the mortal plane to stop the destruction of all Martapa.

 

Then, most recently, is the trials of the High King’s Sword.  This is the second time the Gods are summoned to the mortal plane and causes some major upheavals in both the heavens and Martapa.


For this campaign I hope to post we are between the Ogre Wars and the Time of the Chosen. I wanted a time I've never dealt with except in a timeline, plus it gives us some wiggle room to fit in fun new tidbits. Next week I somewhat flushed out basic timeline.  I also hope to get more specific for around the time of this campaign.


Happy Gaming!

No comments: