Tuesday, March 30, 2021

The Mundane Made Fun

 Hope everyone had a wonderful Spring Break, if they are around that age or have kiddos that age!

So how do you make the mundane of your world, important to how your world works, interesting to your readers?

I have a chapter, soon to be written, on the bits and pieces of the world, the glue you don't see, but many people who like your stories want to know!  As a roleplayer, I like to know these things, and I think this is where you will have your most interest.  Not only them, but the deep dive people who really get into your stories.  I read everything on the Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffery, to the point I at one point knew all the wyers and major houses by heart!  In a chapter like this you want to bring in that sort of information you think is just a side description but is very important to your story world.

Here are a few things I thought of putting in:

1) Holidays.  I'm going to stick to the major ones, but it makes your people of your world seem more real.  Just think of how important holidays are to our world.  To know what your characters find important in holidays can be interesting.

2) Languages.  Some of this will probably be covered in regions or race areas, but to talk about the languages all in one spot is also a good idea.  If you are Lord of the Rings fan you know how much time Tolkien put into his language stuff.  I'm not going into that much depth, but I like to talk about the languages.

3)Money types.  Just like our world, my world has different coinage.  This is a small interest to most readers, but for roleplayers this is pretty vital.  I have this in pretty good detail because we did use my world for roleplaying.

4) Trade routes.  This is for the detailed orientated people, and roleplayers.  If roleplayers use the world for being trade merchants/mercenaries knowing what they are hauling would be a great idea. 

To make it interesting and not dry I plan on using quips from my bard narrator or even little stories to get the information out.  And I also plan on relating it to some of the issues my characters have in the books, such as language issues.

Happy Writing!

No comments: