Friday, May 6, 2022

Houses of Martapa: A Little Lore

 The foundation of my stories is the Houses of Martapa.  It is what I started with, then expanded from there as I wrote more.  But here are a few random facts I found in my notes, that even I had forgotten about. (Good reason to write down all your random ideas, no matter how random.)

1) Vandez, the first person to pledge to Peter, was Peter's protector and rock.  He wasn't the fastest or most brilliant man, but he was devoted to Peter.

2) Olaf Cole, the founder of House Cole, was called "The Cunning".  He was a man who liked strategy and craved it.  It was because of him that Peter and his rag-tag army took out so many ogres with so few numbers.

3) Tresh Bloodhelm could never keep blood off him, even when they weren't in battle.  Peter often wondered if he would feel comfortable with out some bit of blood on him at all times.

4) Gandalf Merryweather was a farmer before the ogres attacked his village. But when he joined Peter's army it was like the sun rising for the first time. They called him "The Stag", not for his abilities with the ladies, (though that was also rumored), but his ability to disappear into the underbrush once he had loosed a surprise attack.

5) Jade Tayke was the only woman in the bunch, (which one would think is weird since I'm a woman, but I liked it that way).  She was often called "The Dragon" in battle, a term she wore with pride.  In Peter's world a dragon was fierce and unyielding.  In Jade's culture, (which turns out to be Janesh), the dragon denoted wisdom.

Happy writing!

No comments: