Friday, August 16, 2024

Those Old Stories...

 As I clean up and go through everything from my mother's house, I realized there are a few things I want to finish before I go.   A lot of them are personal projects or simply trying to organize things so my kiddos won't have to do it when it's my time.  But one thing is for sure, I wish to hell my father had finished some of his stories he started as he sat up in his lonely fire lookout stations.  Which got me thinking, how many stories have I started and not finished?

I decided I can't finish all of them right off the bat, but I'd like my kids, (or grandkids) to know how things should have gone, so here are a few things I'm doing:

1) Picking one story I started and actually finishing it.  Even if I never mean to publish it, I want to feel like I completed it, and it's a nice distraction from editing! At the moment I'm finishing the story I wrote in college about Lady Noshi.  She's just a supporting character in my main story line, but at one point she was my main character. (Yippee for Warhammer roleplaying, right?)  I had a trilogy planned in my head, but I never got it down on paper.  So, now is my chance.

2) Outline the stories you aren't working on at the moment and put it with your scribbles.  I've got way too many started but never finished stories, but I figured at the very least I could outline it so my kids can one day say, hey, mom had a great idea, at least we know what she wanted to do with it.  Plus, once I get the one story I'm trying to fully flesh out done, I can go back and start a new one!

3) And outlining and looking over old stories may give you a good idea to rewrite or even start a new story to turn into a novel.  And that is, of course, the reason we want to write!

Happy Writing.

No comments: