Friday, May 14, 2021

The Importance of Characters

 This should be a no brainer for a writer, but even though a solid plot is vital, characters that are loveable, or ones you just want to hate, are essential.  If you can't empathize with the characters, you won't enjoy even the best laid out plot.

I'd like to think I worked hard on my plots, but I think I've worked even harder on my characters, with a little help from those around me.  I have my main characters which I spend a lot of time molding and shaping, but I also make sure my side characters are just as well thought out.  Here is an example.

One side character I spend quite a bit of time on is Targon.  Yes, he's a god, but he's essential to the plot, even if he isn't a main character.  I make him humorous and almost "human" like to make the reader sympathize with him as he tries to save the world he loves through his rag-tag group of adventures.  He breaks rules, he manipulates his fellow gods and mortals alike, and he never apologizes for what he has to do.  I make sure he is embarrassed, helpful and God-like all in one breath, so a reader just can't forget him as they go about reading my story. 

These thoughts also work for NPCs in a campaign someone might be running.  Your players will enjoy the session much more if that barkeep who gives them a great nugget of information also tells a good story or listens to their worries.

My point is as a writer you can strengthen even the best plot, or prop up a small plot hole, with well thought out characters.  Take the time to make your characters memorable.  It will be worth it in the end.

Happy Writing!

No comments: