Friday, August 13, 2021

Write, Write, Write

 As the fair season winds down and the kiddos are ready to go to school, you might be thinking I need to get back to writing.  I agree!  Even if you never publish, the act of writing is not only relaxing but may help you maintain your brain function as you get older. (I'm a biologist, I worry about these things.)

So here are some ideas to do so, (which I may have mentioned before, so bare with me.):

1) Set aside a certain time a day just for you to write.  Make it like an appointment and put it on your calendar.  I live and die by our family calendar, so I make the 15 minutes after I check emails to be "writing time".  I wish I could say I get to it every day, but life is life.  Just try to make it work and it will keep you writing for the long haul.

2) Don't make yourself write on one story or story idea.  Bouncing might be a good idea.  If you hit a brick wall, (not that any of us have done this), banging your head won't help.  Walk away to another project and get the creative juices going again.  Who knows, you may find a better story idea that way.

3) Shut out the world.  I love my kiddos, but my college students are very talkative.  I have to tell them it's mom's writing time and tune out the world.  It may not be much time, but it's mine.

4) To go along with this, shut off your phone.  I swear my mother knows it's my writing time and calls.  So I just turn the phone off for 15 minutes and then call her back later.

The take away is just keep writing!  Something good may come of it!

No comments: