Thursday, June 13, 2013

A Little Description Hurts No One

When I write, I like to show how things look, sound and feel.  The tall buildings, the smell of smoke, the musty smell right after a rain.  I want my reader to feel and see what I see.  There is nothing different when you are being a game master.  Whether doing an email campaign or one at your kitchen table, there is no reason you can't add description.  Here are some basic rules to keep in mind.

1)  Try to make all your descriptions about the same length.  If you make the more important stuff longer, your players will catch on and listen only to the super long descriptions.  Never put emphasise on the things you want them to notice.  Make them figure it out.

2) Have your descriptions premade.  It's a little extra work, but it is well worth it.  It was easier when I was doing my email campaign, but table top gaming needs notes as well. 

3) Along with places, have people, too.  Sometimes I sneak in the animals as well, to just make sure the players aren't sure what is important and what isn't.  You want them to feel the people and places around them.

4)  Don't write a novel.  As fun as descriptions are, don't take a half hour for each building.  Just hit the highlights so they know what's going on around them.

Happy Gaming!

No comments: