Friday, September 24, 2021

Thoughts on Writing

 As I get back into the groove of writing since I sent both my kiddos off to college this year, I have a few thoughts.  They may even be good thoughts.

1) Set a writing time.  I've mentioned this many times, but if you are in a life transition it becomes even more important.  You want to tell your self I will get to it later or I can skip this one time.  Don't skip your writing time if you can help.  Life happens, but even if you take 5 minutes to say to yourself, "okay, this is what I need to think on," it helps.

2) Keep copies of different versions.  This seems like a weird idea, but what if you don't like your rewrite?  What if the rework becomes corrupted?  Things like this happens.  I had the latest version of my 2nd book, (coming as soon as my college daughter cover artist finds two seconds to make me a cover), and I was going through it for any errors.  I found a sentence that was cut off and unfinished and I couldn't remember what it was supposed to say.  So back to an earlier version and there was my two sentences I some how had deleted!

3) Keep physical copies.  Why?  Hard drives blow, back ups disappear.  Yes, you'd have to retype the whole darn thing, but do you really want to write everything?

4) Have someone to bounce your ideas off of.  Writing in a vacuum doesn't always work.  You may think it's a great idea, but when  you try to explain it to someone else, sometimes it doesn't sound so great.

Happy Writing

No comments: