Friday, February 11, 2022

Ideas to Help You Get Writing Again

 Sometimes you just hit a wall.  You have a brain freeze.  Writer's block just won't let go.  We've all been there.  Life gets in the way or the inspiration just flitters away for some unknown reason.  Don't give up on that idea you've lovingly nurtured, try some different approaches instead.

1) Think of where you are most creative.  For me it's out of doors.  If I'm stuck I take out my notebook and head for the barn to lay in the hay and watch the critters do their things.  At the very least it gets me to relax, which sometimes is all you need to think creatively again.

2) Listen to music.  If you are trying to do a light hearted moment, listen to classical.  If you are trying to write an action scene, movie music always help.  A scene where the characters are spilling their hearts to their love, a little love music helps.  It doesn't work for everyone but I find it helps my mind focus more on those types of activities.  It's like a movie in your head, you have to have a musical score.

3) Read.  This seems odd, but sometimes you are just in need of a reset.  Sometimes reading your favorite author will once again inspire you.  At the very least you get to read a good story.

4) Walk away from your current project for a bit.  I don't mean abandon it, just walk away and give it a break.  Work on a different project. Maybe just do some writing exercises just to get your writing juices going again.

Happy Writing!

No comments: