Friday, February 4, 2022

Keeping Track of Story Ideas

 I'm a very organized person, or try to be.  So, I like to organize my story ideas, and the stories I work on.  I have a feeling most of you would love to be organized, as well.  Here are a few things I do.

1) Keep separate folders on my computer for each story and their ideas. When I write a chapter or format a document for Kindle Direct I make sure to label it for what it is.  I didn't for a while and only labeled "Chapter One" or "notes".  That was a headache.  Now I label "The High King's Sword Chapter 1" so I know what I'm looking at.  That does make it hard if I haven't named the story, but you get the gist of the idea.

2) Keep printed copies of your stories.  Computers are awesome, but sometimes they burp.  Hard copies, short of animal intervention or fire, will be there.  It might seem to be wasteful, but you spend a lot of time on these works.  You don't want to lose them forever!

3) Save on a portable hard drive/flashdrive/google drive.  If you like the electronic, then this is another option.  I suggest instead of copying over what you had on the drive, save as a different folder.  That way you have your stages.

4) Have a master list of stories. I like to organize this in order of "importance" to myself.  Right now, clearly, my High King's Sword series is priority, but I have ideas in the wings.  I'd love to get my stories down so that my grandkids might see how silly their grandmother was. :)

Happy Writing!

No comments: