Friday, February 18, 2022

Spin-offs, Shorts and Never to Be Seen

 The hope of all authors is to see their stories in print.  But once that happens, what do you do next?  As an avid reader I love to learn about side characters, lore and before the quest.  So why don't you write about your world! 

I have all sorts of notes on what I'd like to write on and someday, (I keep telling myself), I will sit down and do it.  Here are some of my ideas which I hope might help you think of some of your own.

1) The story of the Chosen.  This is really what started my whole writing in Martapa, but it was when I was young and not a polished writer.  I have the bones of a trilogy, but some of the plot holes I see now make me cringe.  I'll have a lot of work to fix them up for public consumption.

2) Lore is always fun to do. I'd love to write a guide to my world, which I've mentioned before, so when my grandkids look at my dusty old books then can see what grandma was thinking.  This is a huge undertaking.  Not only do you have to consolidate your random thoughts and make them flow, but you have to  make sure your lore actually matches.  That last is a lot harder then you think.  I've spent hours trying to find the name of some random character I wrote on a scrap of paper just so everything matches.

3) Short stories.  Wouldn't it be neat to know how Tres and the Flaming Shield came together?  Wouldn't it be interesting to know how Flash met Duncan for the first time?  Or how did Sebastion become a Mercenary Lord? My problem is I can't write short stories.  If I try they end up being around a hundred pages plus.  Some day I mean to work on that, though.

4) Spin offs.  I have in the wings stories about Noshi, Sebastion, and Miyaca, a trilogy, really. Also a one off on how Ukiah and Dyani, Amber Blackwolf's parents, came together and how Ukiah ended up using the Gods as they used him.  My list is very extensive and I know I don't have time to write them all.  Especially if I don't write.

So keep writing and have fun!

No comments: