Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year, New Campaign

With the New Year here already, I have been making goals (like everyone else) to do with my writing and my roleplaying campaign I do for my family.  Some of my goals are simple: Write more, get the next adventure done, actually LOOK for an agent. (Okay, that last one is not simple, but I need to do it.)  So here are some suggestions to make and keep your campaigning/writing goals for the year.

1) Write a list of things you want to get done this year.  Or even this month.  What ever doesn't overwhelm you.  Because I'm so busy (and I'm sure you are too) I begin each week with a list of those things I have to get done.  Of course, for me there is a lot of volunteer stuff, housework and other items on that list, but I make sure that my writing at least makes the list, even if it's just a little editing.  for those long term lists, just write down what you really would like to see done this year.  My short list of must get done this year is finishing editing my book enough so I can feel confident to find an agent.

2)  Since the year is young, choose a time for just you and your goals.  Pick a time and tell yourself this is when I'll (fill in the blank).  I have about a half hour between the time my husband leaves for work and I have to get the kiddos going for school. I use this time to edit or do outlines.  I may not be getting much writing done, but I at least work on my manuscript.

3)Prioritize.  Oh, sure there are lots of things I'd love to do, but I have to be realistic that there is only so much time in the day.  I picked my top four or five things and put them at the top of the list, though I leave the other things I'd like to get done, as well, on my list just in case I have time to get to them as well.

Happy Writing!

No comments: