Friday, January 28, 2022

Tidbits About the World of Martapa Part 2

 Here are a few more tidbits about my book series:

1) The Wizards of Shaniko are named after a small town in Eastern Oregon.  When we were going to college in La Grande, (Go Mountaineers), we would drive through the small town when we went back and forth.  I liked the name, so popped it right into my story.

2) Quite a few of the names in my stories are from small towns or fun places we have been. 

3) Some of my elven and Akicitia names are Native American in origin.  Akicitia is actually "police" in Lakota.  Tsalagi, (the main stretch of mountains in Taina), means Cherokee and is pronounced "jah-lah-gee".  That was a nod to my dad's side of the family.

4) There are a lot of nods to my family in the books, whether right out there or more subtle.  The name of the mountain range is definitely right out there.  In my original series Amber, my half elf heroine, was a nod to the fact my dad had to choose between being white or Cherokee at the time.  (Things are definitely different now, but it was a hard decision in the 50's and 60's.)  I don't like to be political, but that was more of a personal subject that affected me directly, not knowing until I was an adult that my grandpa was Cherokee, for sure.  So I expressed it in my writing.

5) The map I made for my writing was slapped together in 5 minutes.  I flushed it out more later, but one of my friends wanted to see what my world actually looked like so a whipped it out.

Happy Writing!

No comments: