Friday, January 8, 2021

The Beginnings of a Source Book

 As I dive into the whole of a source book, which many good SciFi/Fantasy book series have, I realize I've dove into a deep lake.  I have a lot of information on scraps of paper, notebooks of thoughts, and information stuck in my head.  How do I organize it?  How do you convey the most important parts of your world to the readers?  What is the best format? 

As I do this, I realize people who put these together for not only book series, but roleplaying games, are very good at their jobs!

My first decision has become how should I present the ideas of my book.  I love the source books which are narrated by one of the characters of the book.  So my idea is to use Duncan Bloodhelm as our guide through my world.  He is a minor, but important character in my series, that the reader meets later in the series.  As a bard, I figured, who better then he to lead us through my precious world. 

So there is my first step.  Now to actually write it!  My suggestion, if you do something similar, find a voice for your world.  It will give life to your world and not seem like you are reading an encyclopedia!


No comments: