Friday, January 29, 2021

What Size Should My Book Be?

 So once you've determined content, pictures, maps and organization, what size should my book be?

In most cases, with self publishing you are auto defaulted to 6 x 9 inch.  For reading books, this is a great size.  They aren't tiny print, like the 5 x 8 inch, but not the huge size of 8.5 x 11 inch.  But reading books are a little different then a companion book.  There is a lot more information in those companion books and at the very least, the larger the map in print, the better.  

In KDP paper size and color will change the minimum price you have to charge for the book.  I'm assuming that publishers will be the same way.  Look up what size fits not only your look, but your budget.  KDP is a little confusing, because it's example of 300 pages has a minimum amount of 7.42 dollars.  I tried their little calculator for my own books and my 368 page book had a minimum of 8.79, but wouldn't get me out of the red for Expanded Distribution, (to book stores and libraries, basically), until 14 dollars.   So bare that in mind, as well.  Do you just want to sell on Amazon, or would you like libraries and book stores to be able to order it?

Keep on writing!

No comments: