Monday, January 25, 2021

What Pictures Should I Use!

So what pictures should go in my book?

This is a definite individual choice, but here are some things to consider:

1) Can I put pictures in my book using a self publishing applications? I believe you can put pictures inside your book using KDP, but I'm still researching that topic.  But other publishing applications may not allow them.  You also have to consider resolution and how big they can be.  Even a publisher is going to have restrictions, so before you go all gung-ho about putting in pictures, know your limitations!

2) What do I want to have pictures of?  If you have limited space, keep to the most important ones.  Main characters are probably the most important, but small maps or images of say relics or important documents might be good as well.

3) Where do I put them in my book?  If it's a source book, as near to the information about that picture as possible.  In a reading book, I'd do at the beginning or end of the book, or maybe at the beginning of a chapter.

4)How do I find my pictures?  Well, just like maps, there are options!  There are a lot of free images you can use, but those aren't very specialized for your story.  Find an artist or draw them yourself!  High School art classes, or even college ones, have very talented, not professional artists.  Use your resources wisely!

Keep on writing!

No comments: