Thursday, June 24, 2010

Humans of Martapa, Part IV

On the eastern side of the Tsalagi (pronounced jah-la-gee, Cherokee, to those who speak my great grandmother's native tongue) Mountains is where the Black Wizards of Shaniko reign supreme in my High King's Sword series. But when the Kingdom of Tridon was at its height it was the home of many of the Houses of Tridon. The humans on this side varied from those on the west side, though a few of the Houses were similar to those on the west side. There are two major ethnic groups of humans on the east side, the people of Tayke and the people of the plains.

Humans of Tayke are Japanese in appearance and a good portion (though certainly not all) of their culture. Humans on the far eastern section of Taina are more Native American in appearance and somewhat in culture, leaning toward Lakotah and Cherokee nationalities.

I haven't spent as much time on this side or this pre-history, so over the next few days I shall flesh the people out and hope to find a good history and culture for them both!

Roleplaying Tip of the Day: The Internet. So when I was just out of college roleplaying circles were saying the Internet would kill roleplaying. I think a family, kids, and career sort of killed it more for me. I believe you can use the Internet to increase your roleplaying. As a mother I don't have time to sit down to game for 4 or 5 hours straight (as it is I have to take my World of Warcraft time in 10 to 20 minute hits), but I sure can respond to emails. Right after my second child my husband and I were in real need for a roleplaying, but we knew no one who did it in this new town and are friends who roleplayed had spread to the four winds of the country. So we decided to do "play by email". I would write a small blurb of description, set up a scene, then send it off. My players would send me back what they wanted to do and then I'd jam it back together and then send it back for the next round of stuff. Sure, it took time...but if my players were on top of things we got a few good hours of roleplaying in a week. Now adays you have twitter, instant messaging, and even games which allow you to play online together with your own adventures! Use the Internet to keep that roleplaying going, even if you can't physically be together. You may not be able to share a pizza, but you can share the fun!
Tomorrow: Humans of Tayke.

No comments: