Thursday, October 24, 2013

Writing Time and Life

I know I mention this a lot, but with how hectic my life is I feel it can't be emphasized enough.  If you truly want to write, if that is what you want to do, you've got to make time.  Let me list some things you can do to help you make sure you get some "butt in chair" time:

1) Carry a notebook everywhere.  What I mean is if you leave the house, bring a notebook.  Or smartphone, or something you can "write" on when the urge happens.  Doctor offices, kids sports or after school activities, even waiting in line.  The urge to write may just pop up and you may just have time.

2) Schedule time for you.  I say this often, and fail to follow through myself a lot of the time, but if you schedule that time for you, then maybe you'll actually get it.  Mine is after I drop my youngest off at school for anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, depending on how busy I am.  My problem is I volunteer at school or sub for their aids so that time isn't always mine, but it's there if I happen to be home.

3) Get into a critique group.  Mine meets every two weeks (barring life).  We read five pages of what we're working on, share a dinner, and talk about the last few weeks events.  Not only do we force ourselves to write that way and get some feed back, we also get some adult time!

Happy Writing!

No comments: